One of my favorite ways to develop healthy recipes is with bananas. With the heavy holiday season food around the corner, I love having lighter banana muffins for a yummy and semi-sweet balanced snack or breakfast. I have three banana bread recipes on my website and if you follow me on social, you know that I bake my Refined Sugar Free Banana Bread and Refined Sugar-Free Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread ALL the time. But the third banana bread recipe is more decadent, Gluten-free Cinnamon Sugar Banana Bread, this recipe is honestly my favorite winter recipe treat with a cup of coffee.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Banana Oat Muffins – hearty and delicious
I took one of my all-time favorite recipes, Refined Sugar-Free Banana Bread and added oats and more internal seasoning to fit with the holiday season. The oatmeal not only adds texture but a nutty flavor to the muffin. I am a huge oatmeal fan, but I find that I would reach for a banana bread muffin 9/10 times, and that was the inspiration behind these classic, easy muffins.
Ingredients for Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Banana Oat Muffins
The key to baking is having core ingredients on hand for the ability to whip something up when you crave it. I find that I immediately lose motivation if I have to run to the grocery store for three ingredients. I started my blog on the principle of easy baking but gluten-free, and this recipe relies on boring pantry staples, like those old bananas you said you were going to eat and the old tub of oatmeal in the back of the pantry.
- Over ripe bananas
- Gluten-Free Oats
- Gluten-Free Flour (My favorite is Bobs Red Mill 1:1)
- Maple Syrup
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
The perfect hearty and healthy banana muffin for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- 1/3 cups of melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cups of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup of gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 2–3 large ripe bananas (preferably with brown spots)
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free flour
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°f and grease your loaf pan with vegan butter
- Melt your vegan butter and add to a bowl with your maple syrup
- Next add in your vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice
- Whisk your egg into the mixture until the egg or flax egg has been full incorporated
- Peel your bananas and add them to your bowl, gently break apart your bananas with your whisk but leave large chunks of the banana
- Add in your gluten-free flour and gluten free oats using a folding motion to keep the banana chunky in the batter
- Pour your banana bread batter into your prepared loaf pan and top with a few gluten free oats
- Bake your muffins for about 20-25 minutes until fully cooked
Keywords: gluten free and dairy free banana oat muffins, banana oat muffins, banana muffins
What kind of oats are best for this recipe?
I think that old-fashioned oats are far superior to quick oats because they hold their integrity more when they bake in a batter. I chose the old-fashioned style oats because of the size and texture they add to each bite. When you choose your gluten-free oats make sure they are marked gluten-free. Although, oats are naturally gluten-free, they can come across cross-contamination in the harvesting process.