I love a classic chocolate cookie! There is something about the rich cocoa flavor combined with a chewy texture and crisp edge that just makes me think they are the perfect cookie. Check out a few of my other chocolate cookie recipes; Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Salted Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Cookies, and Gluten-free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Chocolate Cookies with Espresso Icing
The combination of espresso and chocolate are a classic pairing. From mocha to chocolate cake espresso elevates the flavor of cocoa and in this case adds an elevated flavor to the top of the cookie. In my Gluten-Free + Vegan Chocolate Cake, the recipe calls for 1 cup of hot water and 1 cup of freshly brewed coffee. The coffee adds depth to the cocoa flavor and adds richness to the whole cake.
Ingredients for Chocolate Cookies with Espresso Glaze
I like to keep most of these ingredients in my pantry so you can easily whip up a batch of these cookies whenever the craving hits! Even make double the batch and freeze the cookie dough for up to 6 months for easy to make cookies whenever you want one!
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- Espresso Powder
- Gluten-Free Flour
- Vegan Butter
- Chocolate Bar or Vegan Chocolate Chips
What kind of chocolate is best for the icing?
I like to use dark chocolate that does contain sugar. I know there is a lot of zevia-sweetened dark chocolate, and I find that there is sometimes a bitter taste when you heat sugar-free chocolate. I mean, heck, it’s the holiday season. What’s a little extra sugar?
How to store / how long does this last?
I typically make the full batch and then if I don’t feel like baking all 12, I place the cookie dough in an air tight bag and freeze them for up to 6 months. The best thing about having a bag of cookie dough in the freezer is whenever you are in a pinch either a craving, or you get invited to someones house for an unexpected party, you can grab a bag of cookie dough balls, toss them in the oven and bam, homemade cookies!Print
Nothing says holiday baking like rich dark chocolate, hint of espresso and soft chocolate cookies! These Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Chocolate Cookies with Espresso Icing are a delightful treat for an easy but elevated dessert.
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 1 cup of gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of espresso powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a baking sheet with vegan butter
- In a bowl using a hand mixer or in a stand mixer cream the vegan butter with the brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy and lighter in color
- Add the egg or flax egg into the butter mixture and beat until fully combined
- Next add in the baking soda, vanilla extract and vanilla paste
- Add the gluten-free flour and cocoa powder in slowly until the dough is well combined
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoon cookies onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes depending on the size of your cookies – cookies should be cracked and the edges looking firm
- While the cookies cool, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave for about 30 seconds, remove and stir in the espresso powder
- Drizzle over the cookies once the cookies are cool to the touch
- Eat and enjoy!
If you don’t have espresso powder you can omit from the recipe
Keywords: gluten free and vegan chocolate cookies