My best friends mom makes the best molasses cookies every year for the holidays. As a kid we would shovel them in our mouths because they had the perfect soft texture with crispy edges. I wanted to recreate those cookies but add a little more density with this gluten-free version. A cookie to hold up to dunking in warm coffee or milk.
Gluten-Free and Vegan Molasses Cookies Flavor profile
At first glance, molasses might not be appealing to someone who hasn’t ever had a molasses cookie or treat. However, if you have had gingerbread, you have essentially had a molasses cookie. The difference between these gluten-free and vegan molasses cookies and gingerbread cookies is that these cookies are less of a bread-like texture and more of a cookie texture. I find that gingerbread cookies are more flour flavor forward rather than a cookie that combines fat and sugar as the base. I chose to make these cookies a little denser than other molasses cookies for the dunkability.
Ingredients for Gluten-Free and Vegan Molasses Cookies
It’s worth keeping these ingredients on hand during the holiday season for easy and delicious holiday recipes.
- Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Paste
- Gluten Free Flour
What Molasses do I use?
Let’s talk about Molasses because not all molasses is gluten-free, which is wild to me. Wheat is added to so many sauces, and I don’t get why; I get why, on a mass production level but on a flavor or thickness level, you don’t need it! I use the Grandma’s Molasses brand because it’s labeled gluten-free.Print
Nothing says holiday baking quite like a chewy and soft gluten-free and vegan molasses cookie. These are the perfect bite of sweet, spicy and sugary. Celebrate the holidays with a classic flavor.
- 3/4 cups of vegan butter
- 3/4 cups of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of Grandmas Molasses
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 3/4 cups of gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°f and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it with butter
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and brown sugar together until smooth
- Add the vanilla extract, vanilla paste, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt
- Next, add the molasses into the cookie dough and beat until combined
- Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, scraping the bowl between each addition
- Using a cookie scoop or spoons, scoop about 1-2 tablespoon circles of dough and using your hands roll into a ball
- Roll each ball through the sugar and place on a baking sheet and using the bottom of a glass, press the cookie down slightly
- Repeat with the remaining dough placing your cookies 1-2 inches apart on the baking sheet
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly cracked
- Remove from the oven and let cool
Keywords: gluten free and vegan molasses cookies, gluten free cookies, holiday cookies
How to store / how long does this last?
These cookies are great for a few days and up to a week in a container on the counter. You can always freeze cookie dough and fully baked cookies in an air tight bag or container for up to 6 months.