It’s that time of year, pumpkins, apples, cinnamon, and more! I live for 60°F weather, warm cinnamon baking in breads, cookies and maybe even a dash in my coffee. This past summer was hard for me. I love to bake every day but with no AC in our house and the work piling up, I felt like my baking inspiration missed me.
I don’t talk about it much, but I briefly talked about it in this post here, my husband is in the military, and with his job comes months of training, deployments, and time apart – which is not fun. The weight of the world in our country has been a lot to handle alone and my outlet has always been cooking. Since the temperature has dropped I am starting to find my groove again in the kitchen. Filling my mornings with a cup of coffee, a phone call with my husband, and something delicious baking in the oven.
In Montana, we don’t really have fall. We go from 90°F to a week of freezing cold, back to 60° for a little bit then bring on the snow! I try to capitalize on the fall feeling as early and much as I can before suddenly I wake up to 5′ of snow on the ground and sub-zero temps! So, I am definitely having my moment while it lasts!
One of my favorite apples to bake with is quite contrary to the baking world! The most common apple is by far the tart granny smith, but when I make spicy loaves of bread with cinnamon, nutmeg and apples I love to cook with Honeycrisp apples. They are bright, fresh, and crisp tasting and they hold those notes when they are baked, adding a delicious flavor to the recipe. One thing I love about these little muffins is that you can have them for breakfast and afternoon snack or dessert! They are perfectly sweet, bright, and literally taste like fall in one bite!
Let’s start baking!Print
These gluten-free and vegan apple butter muffins are perfectly sweet, spicy and full of bright apple flavor. A perfect snack, or dessert to capture fall perfectly.
- 1/2 or 1 cup of cubbed honeycrisp apple (skin on)
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of dairy alternative milk
- 2 cups of gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup of apple butter
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 3 tsp of sugar for the top
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°f and line your muffin tin with parchment muffin liners or grease each cup with vegan butter
- In your bowl with a mixer cream your sugar and your butter together until smooth
- Next add in your vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder
- When that is combined alternate adding in 1/2 cup at a time, the dairy alternative mik and the gluten free flour until a batter forms
- Next cube 1/2 of your apple and gently fold it into your batter with 3 tsp of your apple butter
- Using a tablespoon, add one tablespoon to the bottom of your muffin liner, then a teaspoon of apple butter and top with another 2 tablespoons of muffin batter
- Continue this layering technique until you have filled 9 spots in your pan or until the batter is gone, sprinkle each some sugar before baking
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
Why Apple Butter?
When it comes to apple butter, I think people think it is actually butter. Like a Pecan whipped butter or cinnamon honey butter, but in fact, apple butter is just essentially fancy apple sauce…with way more sugar! I love to spread it on toast like a jam, bake with it, and even cover a fresh log of goat cheese with it for a holiday appetizer. The possibilities are endless!
Follow Along for Fall Baking Tutorials!
Follow my instagram for fall baking tutorials and more fun behind the scenes of my life, my cute dog and all the fun things I am baking this holiday!
Gluten-free and Vegan Chai Quick Bread is the perfect fall snack! Full of warm chai spices and rich flavor, this is a perfect treat for fall.
All the flavor of pumpkin bread but in cookie form! These cookies are sweet, spicy and fluffy speckled with rich chocolate chips for extra flavor.
Gluten free and vegan apple butter muffins are delicious and easy to make fall recipe! They are sweet, spicy, and full of crisp apples!