I have a deep love for banana bread of all kinds. And it’s also no secret that I am obsessed with quick bread recipes. I already have a variety of banana bread recipes on my blog, like this Sugar-Free Banana Bread, Sugar-Free Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and my Sugar-Free Cinnamon Streusel Bread that is made with a banana bread base. Recently I have been daydreaming about cinnamon bread. This might be a core memory from my childhood, but around every three years, a neighbor or friend would pass along a bag of bread starters with a recipe for Amish bread. Let me know if you guys experienced that!?
The Amish bread was a deliciously light and fluffy bread with a hefty amount of cinnamon sugar. I often think about this bread because I have yet to find someone who has the starter (gf, of course, or even a recipe that pairs up); that being said, this recipe hit the craving I was having!
I love so much about quick bread because the general structure is similar, and you can add flavors off of the base. I like to start all quick bread recipes with melted butter and a liquid sugar like maple syrup because that adds moisture without losing flavor by adding water or milk. I typically use maple syrup for these recipes even when I am adding in granulated sugar simply because the moisture in the maple sugar adds richness to the bread.
Why the Cinnamon Sugar?
Cinnamon sugar adds the spice and sweetness that compliment banana bread so well. I think of this recipe as a sugar friendly version of my Sugar-Free Cinnamon Streusel quick bread, they both make excellent companions to coffee and tea. When I have access to delicious breads like this, my morning and afternoon cup of coffee becomes an “it girl” moment. I feel transformed to vacation and just am able to relax into the moment and enjoy the pause of the day.Print
Sweet, semi-spicy and full of rich flavor, this gluten-free and dairy free cinnamon sugar banana bread is one of a kind in flavor and texture. The cake is light and fluffy with a subtly sugar coated crunch topping, a perfect companion for coffee or tea.
- 1/3 cups of melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cups of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg or flax egg (1 tablespoon of flax meal and 4 tablespoons of water)
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free flour (I use Bobs Red Mill 1:1)
- -1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a loaf pan with vegan butter
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer beat the melted butter and the maple syrup together
- Next add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla extract
- Add in the egg or flax egg next until fully combined
- Add the two bananas to the mixing bowl and roughly combine them into the rest of the batter
- Fold in the gluten-free flour gently so you don’t loose the chunks of banana in the batter
- Evenly pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with the cinnamon sugar mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes until a tooth pick entered comes out clean
- Let cool completely before you remove it from the loaf pan
Keywords: gluten free quick bread, gluten free and dairy free cinnamon banana bread
The best gluten-free flour
Gluten-free flour is not all built the same. I create all my recipes with Bobs Red Mill 1:1 – I find that this flour has the perfect balance of stretch, moisture absorbing and fluffy without having a weird taste. I will highly suggest that you use this flour when you are entering into the world of gluten-free baking and recreating your favorite non gluten-free recipes.
Give this recipe a ty and let me know what you think! Tag me if you make!