I have been trying to track down a gluten-free and vegan chai powder for a little while now. After finding the ideal chai powder, I was overjoyed! Since being diagnosed with celiac disease 6 years ago, my dairy intolerance kicked up a notch. Most coffee shops use a chai powder that has powdered milk in it as a thickener. I never knew what I was missing until I had my first dirty chai! The warmth of the spices mixed with the espresso and a splash of coconut milk form the most delicious fall drink. That cup of warmth is what I wanted to recreate in a quick bread form.
What is Chai?
Chai is a combination of black tea, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, nutmeg, and black pepper. In a powdered chai, the black tea is dehydrated and ground with the other spices to create a consistency that dissolves in your warm milk of choice. When baking with the chai powder, the spices bloom when they are heated in the batter and create a rich warm spice blend. The rich and warm chai spice combination is spicy, sweet, and bakes so well! In this quickbread, it was key to balance the spice with enough sugar to create a delicious balance. The moist crumb of the cake from the vegan butter is light, fluffy, and full of just enough moisture to hold in the flavor!
Let’s start baking!Print
Gluten-Free + Vegan Chai Quick Bread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
This chai quick bread is sweet, spicy and so warm! The perfect fall recipes for afternoon tea or a tasty dessert!
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp of chai powder
- 1 cup of almond or dairy alternative milk
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 cups of gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp of chai powder
- 2 tbsp of almond milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2–4 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how thick you want your glaze)
- Preheat your oven to 350° and grease your loaf pan with vegan butter
- In a bowl cream your vegan butter with your sugar until it is light and fluffy
- Add in your vanilla extract and combine well
- Next add in your chai spice, baking powder and salt
- Alternating between your gluten-free flour and your almond milk, combine until the batter starts to form
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour
- While your quick bread is baking, combine your chai spice, vanilla, water and powdered sugar
- Once the quick bread is fully cool drizzle your icing over top
How to enjoy your chai quick bread:
Like your apple, zucchini or pumpkin bread, this bread is so delicious to eat for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or a sweet dessert! I love to have a slice when the temperature dips around 4 pm and the couch is calling for an after-work break before dinner. Name a better appetizer?! When I indulge and have a slice for breakfast, I love to have it slightly warmed with a cup of hot coffee. Talk about a cozy way to start your fall morning!
Whether you eat it in the morning or night, you will enjoy a slice of this chai cake to really bring in the fall vibes!
Gluten-Free & Vegan Blueberry Swirl Quick Bread - Paige BakesJune 18, 2021 at 2:49 pm
[…] other recipes for quick breads on my website: Lemon Ginger Quick Bread, Cinnamon Roll Quick Bread, Chai Tea Quick Bread, Apple Cinnamon Quick Bread, Zucchini Bread, Peppermint Chocolate Quick Bread, and now Blueberry […]