Welcome back and let’s talk quick bread recipes. Quick bread recipes are my favorite thing to develop because they are just that a quick but delicious soft loaf bread. There is such versatility when it comes to a loaf bread. I tend to lean on the side of sweet rather than savory, but now that I write that, my mind is spinning on all the delicious savory quick breads that I could make!
Now that summer is here and the weather is HOT, all I want is fresh fruit and more fresh fruit. I posted a while back about how blueberries are completely under rated when it comes to baking fruits. Sometimes I find myself itching for cake but want to ease the hassle of baking a cake, and that is when I go right to a quick bread! I have a few other recipes for quick breads on my website: Lemon Ginger Quick Bread, Cinnamon Roll Quick Bread, Chai Tea Quick Bread, Apple Cinnamon Quick Bread, Zucchini Bread, Peppermint Chocolate Quick Bread, and now Blackberry Swirl Quick Bread.
To me the quick bread is the perfect cake meets loaf pan combination. I love my loaf pan. I think as a baker it is the perfect size to bake anything in. From summer breads to displaying cookies at a dinner party, the possibilities are endless.
Let’s talk swirl breads, and why I love to add a swirl. As a kid, I use to love coffee cake because of that rich brown sugar swirl in the middle. The added granular texture combined with the soft and pillowy cake is my definition of a dream dessert. When I was developing this recipe, I couldn’t stop thinking about the addition of a jammy sweet swirl in the middle. And that is how this recipe was formed.
Now that I am starving, let’s bake!Print
One of the best recipes for any summer gathering! This recipe is sweet, fluffy and full of bright fruit flavor!
- 1/2 cups of vegan butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cups of almond milk
- 2 cups of gluten free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1)
- 1/2 cups of blackberry jam (I love the Bonne Maman jam)
- 2 tsp of blackberry jam
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1/2 to 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan with vegan butter
- In a bowl with either her hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream your vegan butter and sugar
- Next add in your vanilla extract, baking powder, salt and zest from your lemon
- Combine until well incorporated
- Juice your lemon and add it to your batter with your almond milk
- Next, add in your gluten-free flour and combine until just incorporated
- Using a rubber spatula, add 1/2 of your batter to your loaf pan, then add your blackberry jam
- Place the remainder of your batter on top of the jam and using a spoon, swirl the jam slightly into the batter
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let your loaf cool completely before you glaze it
- While your loaf is cooling, combine your glaze ingredients and drizzle over your cooled cake
Best summer recipe!
The thing I love most about incorporating fruit into baked goods for summer is it adds a freshness to a sugary treat. Something about the heat makes me crave anything sweet but also fruity. As someone who loves fresh fruit, adding them to sweet treats like this quick bread is a great treat for bbq’s, brunches and my all time favorite, breakfast!
Baking with Jam
I think that baking with jam is underrated. Instead of making compotes, which I do love to do, utilizing pantry ingredients for delicious recipes is something that I don’t see happening much in the baking world. In the beginning of COVID, our grocery stores were low in stock, so I found ways to repurpose jams into baked treats and love this idea. For this quick bread I not only used jam in the filling but also in the icing for more concentrated flavor.
If you make this feel free to tag me! I would love to see your take on my quick breads!