Shortbread cookies are severely underrated, in my opinion. There are a few things more nostalgic than cracking open a tin of grandma cookies around the holidays and diving straight for the shortbread. Since I cannot eat those delicious buttery tin cookies anymore, I love to find new ways to enjoy shortbread recipes like this gluten-free and vegan chocolate espresso shortbread with chocolate drizzle.
A fun holiday cookie: Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Espresso Shortbread with Chocolate Drizzle
When I was ten, my sister and I went through a very intense Anne of Green Gables watching binge one Christmas, which resulted in way too much English toffee and far too many shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate. This one Christmas in particular, my parents had gotten a few shortbread tins from a holiday party which was a big win for my sister and me. We spent the night before Christmas eve sitting on the floor, painting our nails – sparkly of course, and eating our body weight in buttery and sugary treats. After that holiday, it took me a few years to look at shortbread again, but as an adult, I think there is no finer cookie for dunking in tea or coffee around the holidays. Shortbread are posh, fancy and so underrate
Ingredients for Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Espresso Shortbread with Chocolate Drizzle
Shortbread surprisingly don’t have a ton of ingredients because they are simple cookies, the quality of your ingredients shines through.
- Cocoa Powder
- Espresso Powder
- Ground Nutmeg
What is espresso powder?
Espresso powder and instant coffee are super finely ground coffee that is powdery but rich in flavor. Espresso powder can be purchased or made at home with a grinder.
Let’s Bake Chocolate ShortbreadPrint
Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Espresso Shortbread with Chocolate Drizzle a perfect tin cookie for the holiday season.
- 1 cup of vegan butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 2 cups of gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons of espresso powder
- 1/4 cup of brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup of vegan chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°f and grease a baking sheet with vegan butter
- In a bowl mix together the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder and vanilla paste
- Next add the brewed coffee and mix until combined
- Next add the gluten-free flour 1/2 cup at a time until a dough forms
- Put the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and using a piece of wax paper evenly roll out the dough to about 1/2″ thick, using a fork poke steam holes evenly spaced throughout the cookie sheet
- Bake for 30 minutes, and remove from the oven
- Immediately cut the rectangle cookies out but leave them on the baking sheet until they are cooled
- Melt the vegan chocolate and drizzle on to the cooled cookies
- Eat and enjoy
Keywords: shortbread cookies, gluten free shortbread, gluten free cookies