Last year I developed the most delicious pumpkin cookies. They are soft like pumpkin bread but in cookie form with a soft center and lightly crinkled top. I am a pumpkin appreciator but not someone who loves the taste of pumpkin alone. The pumpkin pie spice blends add depth to the pumpkin in all pumpkin recipes.
I made this delicious chai quick bread last fall that is a great fall recipe. That quick bread is not overly spicy but balanced in all the spice flavors that chai includes cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and star anise. Much like pumpkin pie spice, they share a variety of similar spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. So honestly, in a pinch, you can use chai spices in pumpkin recipes if you are without pumpkin pie spices or individual spices.
These cookies use the basis of the original pumpkin cookies with a deliciously sweet and spicy chai icing. The icing brings a new level of sophistication to flavor in the cookie. The chai spice elevates the pumpkin flavor to make each bite the ultimate fall treat.
Let’s Start Baking!Print
The best fall cookie! Gluten-free and vegan pumpkin cookies with chai icing are the cookie of the fall. They are sweet, spicy and rich in flavor with a fluffy texture.
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of ground all spice
- 1/4 tsp of ground clove
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of canned pumpkin
- 1 3/4 cup of gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp of chai powder
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp of water or dairy free milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line your baking sheet with parchment
- In a mixing bowl, cream your vegan butter with your sugar until the butter and sugar become fluffy in texture
- Next add your spices and baking powder, stir until combined
- Next add in your vanilla extract and your cup of canned pumpkin
- Stir until the batter is incorporated
- Next add in your flour 1/2 cup at a time until the batter starts to form
- Using a big spoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop your cookie dough onto a lined cookie sheet
- Bake your cookies for about 18-20 minutes for 2.5″ cookie
- Let them cool for around 20 minutes before drizzling your icing
- In a bowl combine your chai spice, powdered sugar and water until the icing is thick but not too thick (lift your spoon and if the icing slowly drizzles off then you are good!)
- Drizzle your desired amount over each cookie
Keywords: gluten free and vegan pumpkin chai cookies, chai cookies, pumpkin cookies
I love to add drizzling icing to cookies because there is a personal touch to each cookie. You can add as much or as little icing as you like by adding fun drizzle designs to each cookie. I have made these so many times this fall because they fill all my fall treat needs. They are sweet, include pumpkin, have a delicious amount of spice, and the drizzle is just fantastic!
Look at at that bite! The center texture is just so dang delicious. The texture of these cookies are light, fluffy and like biting into your favorite pumpkin bread but in cookie form! I personally think the best part of pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins are the soft tops and center so each bite of these cookies is light fluffy and oh-so moist! A perfect addition to your fall baking list!
Give this recipe a try and tag me so I can see your creations!