Through this pandemic I have been baking up a storm (per usual!) and like everyone else finding new ways to include pantry ingredients into recipes! A few years back I made milky way bars and boy are they so good – but they are some major work. Making coconut caramel at home is so fun but also a lot of work if you can’t get the proportions right and to be honest, every can of coconut can be different!
I recently received this vegan coconut caramel that is UNREAL. Skip making homemade caramel and just use this! I am all for pantry recipes and this twix bar recipe takes pantry cooking to the next level!
I have been obsessed for the last two years with Bon Appetite’s youtube channel, especially Claire when she makes gourmet versions of food. These twix bars are my gluten-free and vegan gourmet version of a twix bar – pantry edition! Unlike the Bon Appetite recipes, this gourmet twix bar is SO easy to make! No boiling sugar and cream for the caramel or even tempering chocolate, the only thing you have to bake is the sugary sweet shortbread base!
Why Gourmet Twix Bars?
During summers as a kid our family would head to Idaho for a week every summer to spend time by the lake with our best friends. We would jump off the docks, swim to the sandbar and eat rolo’s and twix bars until our stomach hurt. As a kid we were lucky enough to have a very balanced healthy diet. When we went to the lake our nutrition revolved around 3 major food groups, caramel, chocolate and cookies.
Now that it is starting to get warm, I was craving a twix bar. Having celiac and a dairy allergy means I simply cannot have a twix bar – so I had to make them! I had so much fun making the shortbread, melting the Bloom vegan caramel and drizzling dark chocolate over the top!
Let’s make gourmet twix bars!Print
Gluten-Free & Vegan Gourmet Twix Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes, 60 Minutes to chill
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 bars 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
A pantry version of your favorite candy bar! But also, vegan and gluten-free for all you guys and gals like me!
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup of gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 of a jar of Bloom vegan caramel
- 1/3 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp of coconut oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F and lightly butter your loaf pan (you can use a square 8×8 as well – the cookie won’t be as thick)
- In your bowl with a hand mixer or a stander mixer, cream your butter and sugar until fluffy
- Next add your baking powder, salt and vanilla extract
- Finally, add in your gluten-free flour, until a dough forms
- Put the dough into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes until golden on the edges
- Let your cookie cool completely and warm up your caramel either in the microwave for 15 seconds or using a double boiler so your caramel is easily spreadable
- Once your cookie is cool, pour your melty caramel overtop and place into the fridge for 40 minutes to chill
- Once your caramel has set, melt your chocolate chips with your coconut oil and still until combined
- Using a fork, drizzle over the caramel topping and let chill another 30 minutes
- Keep in the fridge until you are ready to eat
Keywords: gluten free recipes, gluten free twix bars, gluten free dessert
let gourmet twix bars be the recipe of summer!
I know this summer (once we are over social distancing) these are going to be my go-to recipe for summer parties. I can’t stress how easy these are to make and they taste like they take a million years to make!
Add your own flair with other types of caramel, even adding flakey salt on top would be a dream! I know the Bon Appetite test kitchen would approve of the salt usage on top!
Tag me if you make them!
If you make these delicious treats, tag me so I can see your creations! As always, all
paid in partnership with Foodlyn, all opinions, research and recipe created by Paige Bakes