Let’s start by asking the crowd…raise your hand if you love fresh cherries?!
I am obsessed with fresh cherries. The smell, the color, and even more importantly the taste! Cherries embody summer, fresh, bright and full of possibilities!
With the new flavor of Cherry Berry from Health-Ade I knew immediately that I needed to pair this bright flavor with a cherry berry cobbler. Cobblers, like fresh fruit are what summer is all about. This dish is arguably the easiest dessert to make. Just add fresh fruit, some oats, coconut sugar and viola cobbler!
When I approach a recipe that includes a flavor like cherry berry, but in liquid form, I immediately think about reducing down the liquid to extract flavor from the real fruit that Health-Ade uses in their kombucha. These cold pressed juice flavors add so much depth in baked goods, especially flavors like sweet cherry, elderberry, and hibiscus. Alone these aid to the side of fresh and bright, and together they dance on your palate. Coating your mouth in a floral flavor with a tinge of tart from the cherries. A truly unique flavor of kombucha to hit the market right now!
This recipe has the basis of any good cobbler; fruit (fresh and frozen for flavor), reduced kombucha, coconut sugar, organic oats, a touch of vegan butter and a shake of freshly ground cinnamon. I am a true believer that cinnamon aids to the rescue of all flavor combinations from chocolate to fresh fruit, and even savory vegetables. Like salt, cinnamon adds a depth to your food.
Let’s start with step #1!Print
gluten-free & vegan cherry berry cobbler
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 3
easiest, go to dessert for your summer cherries & berries!
– 1/4 cup of Health-Ade Cherry Berry Kombucha
– 1/4 cup of coconut sugar (granulated is fine too!)
– 2 tbsp of cornstarch
– juice of 1/2 lemon
– 1/4 tsp of lemon zest
– 1 cup of frozen or fresh cherries
– 1/2 cup of strawberries (fresh or frozen)
– 1/2 cup of blueberries
– 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1 tbsp of coconut sugar (granulated is fine too!)
– 2 tbsp of oats
– 1 tbsp of gluten free flour blend
– 2 tsp of vegan butter
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F and grease your 3 ramekins
2. in a small sauce pan on low heat, add your kombucha and let reduce, you will start to see bubbles and keep your heat on low
3. in about 5 minutes into the reduction add your sugar, corn starch and lemon juice, let this reduce for another 8 minutes stirring every 2 minutes when bubbles form
4. you will start to see this reduction get thick in texture
5. while your sauce is reducing, in a bowl add your pitted cherries, sliced strawberries and blueberries
6. stir fruit together and add equal amounts to each ramekin
7. when your reduction is done, you will notice it is dark in color and thick in texture like candy, remove from the heat and pour equal amounts over your fruit mixtures into the ramekins
8. in a bowl mix together the cinnamon, vanilla, coconut sugar, oats, gluten free flour and vegan butter
9. with your fingers create a loose crumb and top the ramekins with the topping
10. place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden brown and there are bubbles in the fruit
11. let cobblers cool slightly, top with vegan vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
best served warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream
Tasting the kombucha. Here you gather the notes of the drink, the individual flavors your tongue picks up and is the basis of your recipe development. Upon tasting this flavor, I knew that the addition of fresh lemon to the cobbler was a must to brighten up the notes of hibiscus. It’s time to start baking, now that we are hungry!
The best part about cobbler, and especially this recipe is that it tastes great semi warm with ice cream, cooled down after baking and even better the next day!
I find recipes in small quantities hard to come by, so this recipe was created for you and 2 other friends to enjoy! Tag me in your summer creations so I can see how you are enjoying Health-Ade’s delish new flavor!