Our dear friend Anna stopped by this weekend and brought us bags and bags of fresh persimmons from her friends tree. I've only has persimmons once before and I couldn't wait to bake with these beautiful fruits! With the holidays coming up I'm always looking to create new recipes that are tasty and creative!
I jumped at the opportunity to bake with these beauties! Gluten-free and Dairy free pie is something that is really hard to find and I have another recipe for dairy and gluten free pie crust here! This time I went with an almond base to really counter the sweet tang of the fruit. And boy I think i am a fan of persimmons after this pie!
Lets start baking!
Preheat your oven to 375° Fahrenheit
- 1 cup of blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup of gluten free flour blend
- 2 tablespoons of ice water
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 3 whole persimmons, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
1. In a food processor, pulse together your flours
2. Add in your melted coconut oil and pulse until well blended
3. Next, pulse in your spices and your cold water
4. The crust should be sticking together at this point
5. Place the crust in the bed of your pie dish, and using your fingers evenly distribute among the bottom and the sides of the pie dish
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the dough starts to dry out
7. Rinse and dry your persimmons and slice them 1/4" thick
8. Place the sliced fruit in a bowl, pour your lemon juice over the persimmons and add in your sugar
9. Mix your ingredients in a large bowl
10. Remove your crust from the oven, and place the fruit in a pretty pattern in your crust
11. Place your pie back in the oven for 1 hour to bake
12. Remove your pie and eat with ice cream or plain!