Sometimes I feel like there are few things better than a chocolate cake. The sweetness of the frosting mixed with the bitter cocoa add such amazing flavors on your tongue.
My chocolate cake production ramps up in the fall. Between my sisters birthday in September to the last birthday of fall being my moms in October, I probably make about 5 chocolate cakes. The majority of my family loves chocolate cake and they all happen to be born in two months back to back! Funny how those things work!
After a few years of being states away for my families birthdays, I took advantage of the fact that we were close together this year to test out a no fail chocolate cake recipe!
I can honestly say this is my favorite chocolate cake to both make and eat. It is easy, truly no fail, and full of rich chocolate flavor. This cake even lasts up to 3 days in the fridge post baking, pre-frosting. You can make it ahead and frost it the day of!
Let’s start baking!Print
the chocolate gluten-free & vegan cake of your dreams!
- 1 cup of fresh brewed coffee
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/2 cup of vegetable or coconut oil melted
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups of gluten-free flour *for high altitude do 2 cups
- 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F and grease two 7″ or 8″ spring form pans
- Place 1 tsp of cocoa powder in each pan and toss the cocoa powder over the butter you used to grease the pan and toss the extra once every wet edge is coated
- Brew your 1 cup of coffee and start to warm up your 1 cup of water
- In a bowl or your stand mixer mix your sugar, vanilla extract, salt, cocoa powder and oil
- Next, add in your warm coffee and hot water into the sugar mixture and on low speed combine until the bowl feels cool to the touch, about 6 minutes
- Once your bowl is cool, add in your flax eggs, gluten-free flour, at this point your batter will start to come together but still be on the thinner side
- Pour your batter evenly into each prepared cake pan, and tap on the counter to release any air bubbles
- Place each cake pan into the oven to bake for about 55 minutes, each oven will vary but once it starts to firm on the top test with a toothpick around 55 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting
- In a bowl with the whisk attachment or a hand mixer, whip your vegan butter by itself for a few minutes until fluffy
- Next add in your cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time
- Your frosting will start to be fluffy and soft
- Once your frosting is soft and fluffy, coat your cake payers with a thin layer as your crumb coating and set in the fridge
- After about 6 minutes remove from the fridge and frost with a thick layer of frosting, place the second layer over the cake that is frosted.
- Frost the top of the cake and the sides, top with powdered sugar and enjoy!
* if you eat eggs, feel free to use 2 eggs rather than flax eggs
The key to this cake is the fresh brewed coffee. Coffee adds the best flavor to chocolate cake. The richness in the coffee melts the cocoa powder in this cake.
If you make this cake, tag me so I can follow along on your baking adventure! @frontpaigebakes
sugar free, gluten-free and vegan chocolate chip cookies! did I mention these are also low carb?! they are!Advertisements
Every New Year I set out to do no sugar January. I want this to be very clear, this is not a diet or diet culture or any other reason than to personally do this goal for myself. gluten-free miracle cupcakes Diet culture for new years resolutions is not something that I support. Eating healthy… Read moreAdvertisements
There was a lot of big change in 2019, that to be honest, I am still wrapping my head around. This past year brought some huge life changes and some huge career changes for both Drew and I. Let’s start at the beginning.Advertisements