The “OH MY GOD” Cupcake of your Dreams!
Let me just preface you all by saying, I am not being dramatic, at all! This is The cupcake of your dreams, the “I can eat 5 of these” and the don’t feel guilty cupcake. Two years ago, I was in full swing of recipe testing and developing for our wedding cake. I knew that as a baker, I had to make my wedding cake or I really wouldn’t love what anyone else made for me. Everyday after my full time job, I would bring out my mixer, my cake pans and all the ingredients to perfect my vegan & gluten-free vanilla cake recipe! After about 3 months and 4 recipes, I created, the most delicious vanilla cake.
I consider myself someone who loves chocolate and vanilla. My goal in the end of 2018 was to create the cupcake of your dreams. A chocolate cupcake that was sugar free, gluten-free, dairy free and drumroll please….low carb!
On a sunny Saturday afternoon, I grabbed my trusty kitchenaid, a notebook and my apron and set to the kitchen. My timer buzzed, I pulled the first batch out of the oven, waited impatiently staring at the cupcakes for 15 minutes to be cool enough to remove from the cupcake tin and sliced my first cupcake in half to examine the texture.
Not only were these deeply rich in chocolate flavor, but the texture was something that rivaled a 4 star restaurant chocolate cake. Full of air pockets, moist through the center, a firm top and a nice squish when you bit into it. These cupcakes were visually a work of art, and tasted like a devil’s food box cake mix. My house smelled like a bakery. The scent of chocolate and vanilla extract coated the air and I knew this recipe needed to be shared with the world!
Let’s take a step back! How many of you have had a “gluten-free/healthy” treat that tastes like grass? Me! I have had so many bakery items that were health, vegan, gluten-free, nut free, sugar free, you name it and they all tend to be very disappointing. I do not skimp on flavor. Having dietary restrictions myself and living with celiac, I made it a point to myself, family and community of gluten-free eaters to never create a recipe that was “meh”. This recipe is truly the “OH MY GOD” Cupcake of your dreams!Print
the healthiest cupcake you will ever eat! close to no net carbs and tastes like a boxed cake. yes you read that correctly!
– 1 cup of egg whites (room temperature)
– 1 tsp of baking soda
– 1 tsp of baking powder
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup of almond milk
– 1/2 cup of flax meal
– 1 tsp of peanut butter per muffin (optional filling)
– 2 tsp of stevia
– 2 tbsp of maple syrup
– 1/4 tsp of salt
– 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
– 2 tbsp of coconut flour
– 3 tbsp of melted coconut oil
– 4 tbsp of room temp vegan butter
– 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup of canned coconut milk
– 3 cups of powdered sugar
1. preheat your oven to 350° F and grease your cupcake tin (make sure you get in the edge)
2. in a bowl with either a stand mixer or a hand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip your egg whites for about 10 minutes until soft peaks form and they are white in color
3. while your egg whites are whipping, in a separate bowl mix together your dry ingredients (baking soda, baking powder, stevia, salt, cocoa powder, flax meal and coconut flour
4. when your egg whites have reached soft peaks, with the whisk attachment moving, slowly add in your coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup and almond milk
5. remove the bowl of egg whites from the mixer and slowly (1 cup at a time) fold the egg whites into the dry mixture until fluffy and fully combined. *be careful on step 5. you want to keep air in your egg whites while adding in your dry mixture this creates lightness in your cupcake*
6.add 1/2 cup to batter to each cup in your cupcake tin – if opting to add Peanut butter, add 1/4 cup of batter, a scoop of peanut butter and the remaining 1/4 cup of batter on top – repeat until batter is gone
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crackly on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
8. let the cupcakes cool for about 30-40 minutes until removing them from the tin
9. To make the frosting, cream your vegan butter in your mixer with a whisk attachment
10. add your coconut milk, cocoa powder and vanilla extract until fully combined
11. slowly add in your powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fluffy
12. using a spatula or a piping bag frost your cooled cupcakes
13. eat and enjoy!
Plain or with Frosting?
This recipe can be eaten as a chocolate muffin (without frosting) or as a cupcake for any occasion with frosting. Something that I find hard when making frosting healthy, is that you really do need a powdered sugar to help whip your vegan buttercream. Although, the cake itself in your cupcake is sugar free, a little frosting never hurt anyone! It’s simply the best of both worlds, healthy cake, rich, creamy, sweet frosting! If chosen to omit the frosting, these muffins are perfect for breakfast room temp, warmed up as an afternoon snack for tea or perfect for an after dinner indulgence!
Now that we have established the fact that this recipe is what dreams are made of, let’s start baking!
The goal with this recipe was to create a cupcake that was healthy, delicious and something you could bring to a party and surprise your friends with its flavor and health! If you guys make these, please tag me in your Instagram pictures so I can see your creations! Cheers to happy baking and a healthy life!